Friday, July 26, 2013

A Summer Update - Presidential Edition

Hey everyone!

My name is Joseph Bauer and I am the new PUMA President for the coming year. It is hard to believe there is only a month left of our summer before the fall semester begins! This summer for me has been very productive and yet enjoyable. In the time remaining before summer ends, I hope to squeeze in a few more trips but I am ready for fall to be here.

NOW DOWN TO BUSINESS! With this entry, I wanted to bring to light some of the changes, goals and events we have coming this year.

First off... WE HAVE A NEW WEBSITE! During my sophomore year I worked to try to get our old site updated and needless to say it was a huge pain trying to work with ITaP. So this summer, I worked with some of the College of Science IT staff to get a site that we could freely update and design ourselves. I really think it looks great, but I am biased... The link is above and feel free to make suggestions on what else we could put on the site!

In other news, I have been keeping in touch with Prof. Baldwin about getting a green screen with graphic design software. Once purchased, he plans to locate this plethora of technology in the second half of the weather briefing room. He already has a computer for the job and it is a beast! I cannot remember the full specifications on it, but it has 60GB of ram and a quad ton of processing power. Obviously, these are some expensive toys he is investing in and so it will be a potentially slow process to obtain all of it. He also wants to make sure that people will use it. I think it would be a great idea to do a weekly/daily forecast and upload it on YouTube or our new site. Basically, we need people to weigh in on this so Prof. Baldwin's investment isn't for nothing. Let me (or Prof. Baldwin) know if your interested!

We also have a few events already scheduled!
  • The College of Science Meet & Greet on August 16th (2-4pm)
  • The Boilermaker Get Involved Fair on August 17th (1-4pm)
  • First General Meeting (Call Outs) on August 28th (7pm-whenever)
If you are back to school early, then feel free to come and hang out at either of the two early events. It would be nice to see some PUMA members there and to hear about your summer experiences. I will post Facebook events for these soon.

Lastly, I want to list our top goal for the year. I really want to see PUMA get some recognition at the AMS conference. Our previous officers have put us on a good track and the club has done really well the last couple of years and I think we deserve some acknowledgement. With that said, my goal for the club is to win Chapter of the Year at the AMS conference. This is a big goal, but I think we can do it. Take a look at the criteria for chapter awards here. I want to hear some fresh ideas come Call Outs and lets try to step outside the box this coming year.

Enjoy the rest of your summer everyone!

1 comment:

  1. A fluid, informative and a very good post indeed. I always read and comment positively on education related articles. Just to let you know that I am now following your blog. Thanks, Steve
    MBA Dissertations | HRM Dissertations | Finance Dissertations

    ReplyDelete