Saturday, March 17, 2012

Lunar and Planetary Science Conference

President: Layc Brock


I just flew into Texas today for the 43rd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference.  I assume many of you haven't heard of this conference, because I didn't even know of it myself. Most of the atmospheric science students go to the AMS conference which is normally in January.  There are opportunities for undergraduates at Purdue in planetary science though too, so don't forget that!  I'll let you know a little about planetary science and the conference in general.


So, what is planetary science you might ask?  Well, it is basically a combination of EVERYTHING.  There is really something for every branch of science:  chemistry, physics, geology, biology, and of course atmospheric science!  This field is really up and coming and there are so many opportunities.  It's great because there are still a bunch of unanswered research questions.  For atmospheric science majors, you can study the weather on other planets, jovian planets, and soon (hopefully) we will have the technology using spectroscopy to examine the atmospheric composition of exoplanets.


Anyway, I'm attending this conference to present my research that I do with Jay Melosh, a distinguished professor here at Purdue.  I'll be presenting my poster Sunday, March 18th at the undergraduate portion of the conference and then again on Tuesday night at the main conference.  Not only will I get to network with other students and scientists, I get to attend several panels and talks.  On Monday, I have a "mentor" for the day who will take me around the conference.  Her name is Amy Simon-Miller and she is the Associate Director for Strategic Science at NASA Goddard.  Her research focuses on Jovian atmospheres (think Jupiter and the Great Red Spot!).  On top of all of that, my abstract is one of the featured abstracts for the whole conference which is exciting/scary/crazy.  I'll let everyone know how it goes!


If you are someone who is still trying to decide what to do, you might want to check out planetary science!  There are research opportunities for you to do at Purdue which will really help you out in the long run.  You won't know if research is right or wrong for you until you give it a try.  


More informations and pictures to come!
Look under "highlighted abstracts" 


Layc

No comments:

Post a Comment