Monday, January 30, 2012

Greetings From Across the Pond


Vice President: Alyssa Hendricks

Writing my first blog post seemed like the perfect reason to procrastinate my first atmospheric physics assignment, right?  I am currently studying abroad at the University of Leeds in Leeds, England and taking classes in their School of Earth and Environment. I am the first to go in the program and it was just recently developed with help from Dr. Lasher-Trapp.

 The transition from Purdue to Leeds has been…interesting.  A lot of aspects are the same, I’m still taking my physics and dynamics courses like a typical second semester junior in EAS and also have some really interesting electives. One is on Earth observations from space and another will take me on a field trip during our month long “Easter Holidays” (fancy way of saying I get a month for spring break!) to develop field skills.  The School of Earth and Environment at Leeds is much larger than the EAS Department at Purdue, they have a fairly new building strictly for the school. Their labs have windows and everything!  The actual meteorology program is still small though, and you can tell all the students are as close with their classmates as we all are. 

The structure of classes in the UK is taking some getting used to.  I only go to one hour of lecture for each class in a week and we have an additional hour of “tutorial” which is what I would compare to recitation.  So far this seems awesome only going to class for 8 hours a week! However, English classes require a lot more independent work and hours spent reading and doing problems.  I do miss having big group homework sessions with everyone then.

Leeds campus is gorgeous, despite the dreary weather all day.  The buildings are a mix of historical old buildings and really modern architecture, all right next to each other. Campus is built on a hill too, so getting from class to class is slightly more of a workout than at Purdue.  The City Centre sits right next to the school, so there is always somewhere to go or something to do in or around campus.

Aside from the terrible food and everything being much smaller than what I’m used to in America, I am having a great time! If anyone would like to know any more or has questions about the program I would be happy to answer them – I need something to do since I’m hardly in class. The program is an exchange so we need as many Purdue students to go to Leeds as they send over to keep the program alive!

With that, I should probably get back to doing physics homework.  I wish everyone the best of luck with their semesters at Purdue and will be excited to return and share even more stories with you all.




School of Earth and Environment Building




1 comment:

  1. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    Beijing air quality

    ReplyDelete